It's been just over a week and honestly I'm still in a state of denial that my life here in Firenze for the next 3 & 1/2 months has actually begun. Day after day I have to remind myself that this IS real life. It's kind of exhilarating every time I "realize" where I am. I hope that excitement stays with me throughout my entire time here.
Monday marked the start of the actual study part of studying abroad. While most people may dread the beginning of classes I found that I was actually pretty excited for them. One big reason for that is the structure it would bring to my days. Being in a foreign country is overwhelming on it's own, but when you have the ability to do whatever you want every day it can get to be a little too much. And how can you not be excited when you're taking classes such as Current Trends in Italian Cuisine (which I will learn how to cook in), as well as Drawing Composition (in FLORENCE, ITALY!). Can't really complain about that lol. My schedule also includes Intermediate Italian 2 (which I am pretty nervous about), Social Psychology, and wait for it.... History of Prostitution. Yes I know, one of the weirdest classes I could have chosen but hey I needed a filler class, it looked interesting, and I'm pretty sure Stonehill would never offer it. Don't get me wrong, that's probably not a class I would take even if it were offered at Stonehill but I've decided this is a semester of trying new things, broadening my horizons, and also pushing myself out of my comfort zone. So as of now I've had the class twice and it is definitely intimidating (for obvious reasons) but I'm willing to give it a chance and hopefully in the end I can say it was worth it and that I was able to actually take something useful from it... we will see. Anyways, week one of classes is over and while i'm exhausted it was enjoyable (minus the gigantic decrease in my bank account thanks to the cost of books and supplies). Tomorrow we venture to Pisa & Lucca and I can't wait to be one of THOSE tourists that takes a picture holding the Leaning Tower up with one finger or whatever :) So stay tuned for more!
Here's a picture of some of the houses/buildings lining the Arno River, enjoy!
vita, amore, felicità
We stayed at a hotel on the Arno at the end of the bridge called the Lungarno. It had an awesome view of the bridge and we could walk every where!!
ReplyDeletehistory of prositution?!?! sounds awesome! have to admit im kinda jealous, we know how weird i am lol you have to tell me all about it!! <3
ReplyDeleteThat sounds amazinggg Uncle Rick!
ReplyDeleteAmanda- I was actually just talking with someone about how you would have jumped on taking that class lol I'll definitely tell you about it once I get back. So far we've just being talking about Ancient Greece and how it fit into their culture and what not.